It’s almost Granola dressed as Cookies !!!
Since Aarav started going to school, all the American festival have new place in our life. For a month all wehear, see and make is the upcoming festival. And right now, It’s the most wonderful time of the year. We are so surrounded by the Christmas spirit.
And now he wants to do everything he watches and hears about the Christmas from different sources(books,movies,cartoons,friends and teachers). So when we were doing our weekly grocery shopping he wanted to get some cookies for Santa(so Santa don’t get tired from going to every one’s place on Christmas night) and I was like, How about we make some cookies ourselves.
This is our first cookie making project (I have still not get over the baking phobia). Aarav was so exited for a week, we did all our research for cookies and made the list of the ingredients (he even walked in this weather to buy chocolate chips). This is the key to get kids exited about anything, make them wait for that. And instantly it’s their most favorite thing.
We looked at many recipes, but most of them were for nice chewy and soft cookies. Since soft and chewy foods are Aarav’s not-so-favorite foods, I needed to find something that can be crunchy and crispy. And most recipes called for more flour than oats. That was another big NO-NO. And while watching all the videos Aarav suggested that we add some Walnuts too, for the extra crunch. So this recipe is mostly inspired and modified version of JoyOfCooking.com.
- The recipe we chose used eggs, We replaced them with Flax seed.
- If you are using a recipe with eggs, but going to make it egg less. It is a good Idea to choose recipe with less eggs (not more than 1 or 2 eggs).
- Bake them for 10-12 minutes for softer cookies and 12-15 minutes for crispier cookies.
- When mixing the ingredients together don’t beat them on high speed or for very long, Or the butter will start separating.
- You can refrigerate the dough for 3-4 days.
- And the most important tip ever , measure the Chocolate Chips just before adding them (or if you end up having not enough Chocolate Chips in your cookies don’t blame me) !!!
Prep Time : 15 Minutes
Cook Time : 12- 15 Minutes
Makes : 20-22 Large Cookies
3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
3 Cups Oats
1 Cup Nuts (chopped)
1 Cup Chocolate Chips
1 Cup Unsalted Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla extract
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
To replace 1 Large egg :
1 Tbsp ground flax seed in 1/2 cup water (dissolve it and let it sit for 5 minutes before using)
Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F/ 177 degrees C.
1) In a bowl, mix all Purpose flour ,Baking soda,cinnamon,nutmeg and salt with spoon.
2) In a separate bowl, Mix butter and Brown sugar with electric mixer for 1 minute.
3) Add Vanilla extract and flax mix in Butter and sugar mix.
4) Add flour mix in the Butter and sugar mix, Beat it for not more than 2 minutes.
5) Add oats,nuts and Chocolate chips ,mix them with spoon.
6) Line the baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminium foil.
7) With a big spoon (not preferred by Aarav) or ice-cream scoop, scoop the dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
8) Flatten the cookies with your hands slightly.
9) Bake them for 12-15 minutes.
10) Once baked transfer them on the cooling rack.