Spaghetti with Oil and Garlic !!!
It is called “Midnight Spaghetti” because Chefs make this dish for themselves after returning home at midnight (at least that’s what Ina Garten said). I saw this recipe in a show which was showing what chefs cook for themselves. After being surrounded by complex flavors and ingredients for the whole day all they want is something simple to make and simple to eat. But simple doesn’t mean no favors or bland food. With only few (but packed with flavors) ingredients this is the dish you will want to make after a busy day.
As a family we love pasta dishes. But I never cook spaghetti.Cause Once we tried it with marinara sauce and the whole sauce-dripping-pasta-rebelling-to-stick-to-fork idea wasn’t so exiting.And after having kids I only love to eat food which I can decently manage with only one hand. So when I saw this recipe I was like I have to make it.That time Husband was working in New York and only visited us every 2 weeks. So get all the ingredients and made his visit special by this new dish.And now it’s on our regular menu.
For Aarav spaghetti was so fascinating. Something he always see his cartoon characters eat or see in books. Now we are making that too. So even if it is not particularly kid friendly dish, He just loves it. Since there is not a lot of things we have to do to make this he started playing with spaghetti.
- Always boil your past in a large pot with lots of water. Or pasta will be very starchy.
- Adding little past water to your sauce will bring the whole dish together.
- Add garlic when the oil is lightly hot. That way garlic will have sweet flavor instead of risk of getting burned.
- If you can use freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Cause the box of grated Parmesan cheese have corn starch in it.It will make the sauce lumpy.
- Add Parmesan cheese after turning off the heat. And let the cheese sit and melt on its own. This is something I figured out after few batches of spaghetti with big lumps of cheese and parsley.
- Don’t mess with this recipe. Normally I pick a recipe and add whatever I have or like. But some recipes are worth trying the original way.
Prep Time : 10 Minutes
Cook Time : 15 Minutes
1 Pound Dry Spaghetti
1/3 Cup Good Olive Oil
4 Large Cloves of Garlic (more if you like)
1/2 Tsp Crushed red Pepper flakes (more or less according to taste)
1/2 Cup Minced fresh Parsley
1 Cup Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1) Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 Tbsp of salt and pasta and cook according to the directions on the package.
2) Set aside 1/2 cup of pasta water.More if you want.
3) Meanwhile heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add garlic and cook for 2 Minutes.
4) Add crushed red pepper flakes.
5) Add reserved pasta water and bring to a boil.
6) Lower the heat and add salt. Simmer it for 5 minutes until water is reduced.
7) Add drained pasta and give a nice toss. So the pasta is covered with oil and garlic.
8) Turn the heat off. Add parsley and Parmesan cheese. Toss it
9) Serve it with extra Parmesan cheese.